Monday, April 26, 2010

Ask Forgiveness

It is a requirement for every Christian to ask forgiveness when we have wronged someone. All of us at one time or another will need to ask forgiveness from others since we are not angels - we hurt each other. If we need to be healed fast, to ask forgiveness is one way of getting God’s healing and being reconciled to others.

Matthew 5:23-24

23.  Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
24.  Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

 

Steps  to ask forgiveness

  1. I am sorry – Acknowledge the fact that you are really sorry for having offended the person.
  2. I was wrong – Acknowledge the wrong  thing that you have done and the fact that there is no excuse to do what you did. This is owning up or taking the responsibility. Sometimes we want to justify ourselves for having done the wrong we did, but that does not make things any better.
  3. I did not intend to hurt you – Explain that you did not intentionally do what you did in order to hurt that person.
  4. Is there anything that I can do to make things better for the wrong I did? – This is making  making restitution.
  5. I truly repent  and I don’t want repeat the same thing to you – This shows your sincere regrets
  6. Wound you please forgive me? I am really hurt, because I know I have really hurt you”. Let that person know that his/her forgiveness is very important to you because you value your relationship and would want to keep it healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment